MY ETSY SHOP

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Painting furniture



This is the table I brought home last week after seeing it along side a dumpster.  Although I like as it is, I just can imagine it cleaned up, painted and waxed to see the details and then it can live in my kitchen.

Read this: Love Annie Sloan colors but not the price?

First, I must thank Mandi for her great post. Not only am I new to painting furniture, I am disabled and on a ridiculous budget (as are many people these days). I have looked at Annie Sloan as well as Ce Ce Caldwell paints and keep putting it off. I can paint a room (which I have to do) for the cost of painting a piece of furniture that I have or found by the dumpster! I can’t justify the cost.

I am not selling the furniture, I am just trying to redecorate my home. It is just a matter of dollars and cents, some common sense and convenience for me. If I decide to do it today, I can go to Sherman Williams, Home Depot or Lowe's and get what I need and go to it.

Mandi took the time (and trouble) to come up with paint color comparisons for Annie Sloan (ASCP), Sherman Williams (SW) and Behr (Home Depot's paint).  She lets us know that SW must be clear coated or glazed, with Minwax Paste Finishing Wax and/or Minwax Wipe On Poly.  As a newbie, I thought anyway.  ASCP Dark Wax is the same shade as Ralph Lauren Tobacco Glaze; and  instead of ASCP Clear Soft Wax used Minwax Paste Finishing Wax.  Mandi also has an e-book about painting furniture.

The other thing is, the comments were great! Some additional information was extremely helpful… although I must tell you that I thought I might have been eavesdropping on a Summit for World Peace!! :)  Please don't shot the messenger. I am just trying to make my home pretty at a reasonable cost and share that it can be done with others.  And Mandi told us how!  We are talking PAINT here.  I am sure if you ask Lowe's and Home Depot who's better, they each would say they are.  Let's face it, there is room in the world for more than one...that's where choices are made.

To be continued.  In the meantime, have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry but I had to take 'open/anonymous' comments down due to spam. I apologize but still would love your comments.