MY ETSY SHOP

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Dick Clark, I will miss you.

I have spent more Saturday's and more New Year's Eves with Dick Clark than anyone else in my life...and I will miss him greatly.

Saturday mornings were cartoons but early afternoons (before the ball game) was time for American Bandstand.  I didn't realize that I was watching Rock-n-Roll history and how many of the artists I was watching getting their start and I'd be listening to for years to come.  Dick has amazed me...  He never grew older!  (although I did!)

On Saturdays, we would to go to my Great-Grandpa's in Kew Gardens (Queens, NY).  At the time it was just my brother and I.  To entertain us, Mom put on Bandstand and sometimes we'd dance:



Dick Clark started hosting American Bandstand in 1956...I was born in 1956.  So Dick Clark was there (for my) forever.  Barry Manilow's Bandstand Boogie is the only theme I remember.

WATCH:  30 year Special


Bandstand stopped running on ABC in 1987.  My son was 7 years old.

In 1972 Dick started hosting Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve.  I have had a date with Dick every New Year's Eve.  Actually, there is only one or two that I remember having a "date" outside the house that didn't include Dick.  (Sorry Dick, didn't mean to stand you up!)  I was never big on going out on New Year's because it just didn't seem like a good time to go out when you knew everyone was out drinking and celebrating and then driving, so I am the one that stays home.  After my son was born I was home anyway.

Ryan Seacrest joined my celebration in 2005.  I hope Ryan and I make it through the years to come but it will not be the same without Dick.  Every New Year's Eve to come, I will remember Dick.  Watch and listen:  It's just another New Year's Eve (without you, Dick)

Rest Peacefully my friend.  I will miss you.
Dick Clark  1929  Mount Vernon, NY -  2012  Santa Monica, CA.  Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry but I had to take 'open/anonymous' comments down due to spam. I apologize but still would love your comments.