MY ETSY SHOP

Monday, August 6, 2012

Once upon a time...

Once upon a time, members of my family traveled from the old country to the new country, America. My mother's, mother's mother's family were Bohemian from Czechoslovakia, which is now the Czech Republic.  Prague is the Capital and largest city in the Czech Republic.  There is just so much history there and that history belongs to my family too.  My Great-Grandfather (Irish) called my Great-Grandmother a Gypsy!


In 2005, my sister, Maria and I went to Prague for a long weekend.  I'm not sure why she would let me book the trip.  I've never been overseas and wound up booking a 13 hour layover in London on the way back, but we took advantage of it as best we could.


We had a great suite in Prague and from our window we could see Prague Castle...which we had to find once we got there.  And we did!!  The following is a 5 minute slide show of pictures mostly within the grounds of the Prague Castle.  (as I find more pictures, I will share them with you.) Click this link to see:      A Rainy Day in Prague

The painting I bought became my inspiration in the cottage kitchen  I was living in on Long Island and once again the inspiration for the kitchen here.


There was a market place along the way and we both bought paintings.  I bought this one because it reminded me of "US" sharing time in Prague and the buildings around.

In addition to my trip to Prague, my other Great-Grandmother was from Paris, France and I got to spend some wonderful time in Pennsylvania at her home and later. 

Between all of that, I had dishes and glasses from both Czechoslovakia and France, and it became my "old" world charm of the kitchen.  I also had shopped the Czech Republic and working at Linens 'n Things I was able to get the Gothic mirrors, and Beall's Outlet I got a Gothic cross. 

Here is another slide show of  some of my kitchen elements.  If ever you are looking for a theme, there are so many to choose from, but consider your family heritage and those things that may only come out for special occasions or holidays.  Take out your china, drink out of wine glasses... you get my drift.


bowl on display


Odd old and newer pieces on display


dinner and salad plate on display

Sometimes a wine bottle label hits you.  I had to get this one and the wine was good too!


I recently found the Gothic cross, looped brown ribbon and hung there.  It won't stay there but it was a must have.
Toys from Czech Republic, wine glasses from Germany




This isn't what I was looking for but it still says what I'm thinking:

I found the words below and a YouTube video here for you to watch and listen.

 Wake up to the sunlight with your windows open   Don't hold in your anger or leave things unspoken Wear your red dress, use your good dishes Make a big mess and make lots of wishes
And have what you want But want what you have And don't spend your life looking back
Turn up the music, turn it up loud Take a few chances, let it all out 'Cause you won't regret it
Looking back from where you have been 'Cause it's not who you knew And it's not what you did, it's how you live
So, go to the ballgames and go to the ballet And go see your folks more than just on the holidays Kiss all your children, dance with your wife Tell your husband you love him every night
Don't run from the truth 'Cause you can't get away, oh no Just face it and you'll be okay
Turn up the music, turn it up loud Take a few chances and let it all out 'Cause you won't regret it
Looking back from where you have been 'Cause it's not who you knew And it's not what you did, it's how you live
Oh, wherever you are and wherever you've been Now is the time to begin
So, give to the needy and pray for the grieving Even when you don't think that you can 'Cause all that you do is bound to come back to you So, think of your fellow man
And make peace with God And make peace with yourself, oh yeah 'Cause in the end there's nobody else
Turn up the music, turn it up loud Take a few chances and let it all out 'Cause you won't regret it
Looking back from where you have been 'Cause it's not who you knew And it's not what you did, it's how you live
'Cause it's not who you knew And it's not what you did, it's how you live
 As I shop, I must confess, I still look for things that would go with my heritage kitchen. I've picked up a heavy weight wine glasses to use everyday at the Dollar Tree; and orange ceramic bowl at the thrift store; the French tablecloth made in France at the thrift store for a dollar!!  


So many people redecorate their kitchens and dining rooms.  Those rooms to me spark memories of family gatherings around the table.  What better rooms to bring out the family heritage, traditions and memories that the kitchen and/or dining room?!  Use and display what you have, including old photos, and fill in the blinks.


And as I look around the kitchen, I can still hear my Gramma Blanche calling me "Mlle tout tactile"  which means Miss Touch Everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry but I had to take 'open/anonymous' comments down due to spam. I apologize but still would love your comments.